FireFly Jam Jar (2)

After a mostly uneventful February, except for the smell of winter we had with week below -5C and snow (2 hours, but just enough to spread havoc in the Dutch transport system), I finally decided to post something.
My FireFly hardware is finished, including the bricolage of painting the glass. I mixed a part of pebeo vitrea 160 frosted medium with yellow colour of the same line. The LEDs are in yellow and orange so a similar colour to enhance the effect seemed appropriate. I used a sponge to enhance the frosted glass, I didn't want Luísa to see the electronics inside (it kind loses the magic). This is how it looks after baking.

On the top I placed one of my solarbotics SCC3733, I opened two holes in the top and fixed the solar panel with two part epoxy glue, I then scraped the epoxy until I found the contacts and connected the board.

It doesn't really look that good, the photo is over exposed and you can't really see the mess I've made... not only the two components were not thoroughly mixed, there are lots of air bubbles in the resin.

Finally I also glued the board to the top of the jar.

You can just see the drill under the board and the wire connecting the solar panel to the battery charger. The jumper powers just the circuit but leaves the battery charger charging.

Now it is just software, the current code is running from the Reindeer Christmas Ball so battery runs out... fast...
I just checked my first post on this project was here, 5 months ago... I'm very slow... very very slow...
The idea of having it with the solar panel is to teach Luísa that the "FireFlies" need to be fed (i.e. put on the sun)... the solar panel is also a way to turn it on/off.

No comments: